Why is Data Privacy important?
In this digital era, people collect and share data online which is not a new thing. With technological advancements, cybercrimes have also increased rapidly. It is important that information has to be secured well.
Millions of people are becoming victims of intentional or unintentional data breaches and cyber-attacks. As a result of which their financial and personal information gets stolen, lost, or sold.
While dealing with sensitive information it is important to secure your data. Data Privacy and security are key parts of data protection. Securing the information must be the intention for every individual and organization.
Data Privacy focuses on the protection of sensitive business data and PII of customers, vendors, business partners, and employees from unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, and deletion.
Personally Identifiable Information (PII), is information that can be used on its own or in combination to identify, contact or locate a single person or to identify an individual context.
Personal information includes a person’s name, photographic image, residential address, date of birth (DOB), health details, phone number, identification information and card details. Protecting customer data is as critical as protecting personal information.
Data is very much important and if it gets into wrong hands, the cyber criminals can use them to conduct phishing attacks, malicious apps, malware infections, and so on.
One should make it a priority to secure your data. Let us take a look at some ways that could help you to protect information and stay away from privacy breaches:
- Report in case of actual or suspected violations of confidentiality or privacy.
- Keep your files away from family and friends.
- Update your browsers and other office devices.
- Make use of a safe search engine.
- Choose a strong and unique password and enable two factor authentication.
- Do not share passwords with others.
- Never download files or click links in untrusted emails.
- Log out of your email when not in use.
- Do not publish personal information about individuals without their permission.
- Do not use business emails to log into media sites.
It is always necessary to be more vigilant while sharing data. Think twice before sharing any type of information. Always keep in mind that leak of this personal or sensitive information can harm a person or company’s reputation.
Image Credits : Managed Solution